Thursday, February 12, 2009

A few years ago I applied for a visa, passport, etc, to make a trip to the Philippines with a friend of mine. I had to get a bunch of shots, (ouch) and make some plans. When I applied for my passport I had to send in the "original" copy of my COLB (you know what that is - right) not a copy, not a facsimile, the ORIGINAL. Just suppose I had told them, "Hey, just take my word for it I was born in the United States, just ask my friends they will vouch for me!" Do you suppose that I would have received a passport? I'll give you three guesses and the first four don't count! You might say, "Hey, Ed, no one in their right mind would even think to try that!" (Oh you had better be careful you might be "bashing" someone!)
A few years back I applied for a CCW (CPL) and guess what, yep you guessed it. I suppose I could have told them "look I've lived in Michigan since 1956 and I was born in --, Ohio, just take my word for it or you can ask my friends" and you know what would have happen - okay, three guesses (oh you've heard that one)... Nope, it would not matter what I told them, it would not matter if they had seen it before, in order for me to get any kind of a government issued (yes even when you join the military) paper I MUST have a COLB. Which reminds me, did Mr. Obama ever come up with a COLB? This must be part of the "change" he promised us. Hey, the next time they want to see my COLB I'll just tell them to contact Mr. Obama and he'll verify that it really isn't necessary even if the CONSTITUTION says so.

No comments:

Post a Comment